1. What is Sexual Harassment?
  Sexual Harassment is unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature in which a reasonable person would anticipate that the subject of attention would be offended, humiliated or intimidated. It can range from intimidating sexist comments to criminal sexual assault.
2. What are sexual harassment acts?
  The following are some examples of sexual harassment acts:
  - unwelcome sexual advances
  - unwelcome requests for sexual favour
  - unwelcome verbal, non-verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature
  - conduct of sexual nature that creates a hostile or intimidating environment
3. What should you do if you feel being sexually harassed?
  - Say “NO”. Let the harasser know that the behaviour is offensive, unacceptable and must stop immediately.
  - Keep a record of the incident, including the date, times, location, behaviour, witnesses as well as your reactions and feelings.
  - Seek an advocate such as your supervisor, a student counselor, a residence master, or any other supervisory personnel with whom you feel comfortable. The Gender Equity Officer may also be a source of information regarding general procedures for both informal and formal resolution, but he or she should not hear or advise on details of the case until a formal complaint is filed.
  - Lodge a Complaint. When informal means fail to resolve a situation, or you believe that only a formal complaint can provide relief, you may lodge a formal complaint in writing to the Director of Human Resources (if you are a staff) or the Director of Student Affairs (if you are a student).
4. Is it possible for a person to be sexually harassed by someone of his/her own gender?
  Yes. Sexual harassment may occur regardless of the gender of the parties.
5. If an allegation involves only a single incident, can it amount to sexual harassment?
  A series of incidents may constitute sexual harassment. However, depending on the circumstances, it is not necessary for there to be a series of incidents. One incident may be sufficient to constitute sexual harassment.
6. How to lodge a complaint?
  Internal university procedures:
Internal handling procedures can be found in the Policy on Sexual Harassment at http://gdc.ust.hk/policy-5.html
  External assistance:
You can lodge a complaint with the Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC) or start civil proceedings at the District Court. You can also report to the police.
7. Is there a time limit for lodging a complaint?
  There are time limits for lodging a complaint to the University, EOC or District Court.
  Internally at HKUST: Normally a complaint should be made at the very earliest opportunity after the act of harassment occurs, and not more than 6 months after the last incident of the alleged sexual harassment.
  EOC: If you want to lodge a complaint with EOC, you should do it within 12 months after the incident has taken place.
  District Court: Any decision to take legal proceedings to the District Court should be made within 24 months after the incident has taken place.
8. What is the University’s principle when handling complaints?
  All complaints and inquiries shall be handled with utmost care so as to protect the privacy of the involved parties. Furthermore, any records or documents related to the cases shall be managed with the highest level of confidentiality.
Copyright ©2013 HKUST. All rights reserved. Designed by PTC